There are my absolute FAVORITE! I remember back in my college days my professor said to me, “if you can put transition words in your essay, I’ll give you A’s. It needs flow.” So, I did. The result = A’s!
These transition words, just like in the writing task II of the IELTS, are imperative for creating flow, coherence, and cohesiveness.
Transition words are used to join two or more independent clauses or sentences. When connecting two independent clauses, they may be preceded by a semi colon.
She failed to show up on time; consequently, she will be terminated. (people would probably say “omit” the comma, but I don’t.
Profits have risen considerably over the past few months. Therefore, everyone will get a year-end bonus.
Mary lacks experience in the field; however, she makes up for it by doing more than expected.
The event was advertised everywhere. On the other hand, not that many people attended it.
The memo last Thursday was sent by email around 3pm; in addition, everyone will have a copy in their mailbox by Friday evening.
We decided to cut ties with the company. Furthermore, we’ve told other companies in the area not to do work with them.
I travel a lot for business. For example, I go to Singapore twice a month for meetings and Malaysia three times a month to speak.
Greg is a fast learner. For instance, he taught himself how to use the interactive whiteboard within 30 minutes.
2) Hospitals are competing for a shrinking market share; _____, they are attempting to look for the most cost-effective and highest-quality care.
3) These ads can bring in revenue; ____________, because they are government sponsored, they can keep costs at a minimum.
4) This company intends on moving shop; ____________, it will keep all other departments here.
5) The contract only runs for one year; __________, there are options to renew for two more years should we need anything else.
6) The sales at this shop has increased recently; __________, we are very optimistic about the future growth.
7) Since the beginning, the bank has lent more than $1 million; ________, its membership has grown to include 40 regional companies.
8) We, in general, are a local company; _____________, we can offer services outside but as long as its within our state lines.
9) The woman who volunteered last week at Nascar has the most hands-on experience; __________ she was hired.
10) Our banking clients want flexibility; ___________, we provide ATMs for use.
Category: education, englishTags: bangkok, brazil, coaching, easyenglish, education, efl, englishcourse, englishfriends, englishlanguage, englishslang, esl, expression, expressions, france, funenglish, idioms, ielts, indonesia, language, laos, learnenglish, malaysia, myanmar, phrase, phrases, saying, sayings, studying, teacherslife, tefl, thailand, toefl, toeic, tunisia, vocab