If you understand word families, you’re going to understand the TOEIC test in it’s entirety. Words can be related in noun, verb, adjective, and adverb forms.
Noun Suffixes: -ance, -ancy, -ence, -ation, -dom, -ism, -ment, -ness, -ship, -or, -ion
We have profited from his employment.
Wisdom comes with age and experience.
Verb suffixes include: -ate, -en, -ify, -ize
This client will strengthen our credibility over time.
We really need to simplify the work allocation.
Adjective suffixes include: -able, -ible, -al, -ful, -ish, -ive
His business is very successful.
This is the most constructive plan we have.
Adverb Suffixes include: -ly, -word, -wise
The presentation was given professionally.
He tends to do things sidewise.
- Like no other member we have ever employed, John exercised a _________ influence on the firm.
2) The recommendation, which was faxed by the secretary herself, was ________ to the success of the company.
3) Fortunately, his response ___________ the board members, and the meeting was finally adjourned.
4) Which it may have seemed like we were being critical in our observation, the student’s ___________ was rewarded in the end.
5. An experienced ___________ will explain the new system to the interns during the tutorial.
6. As is the case with the parking garage entrance, the front doors are run ____________, not manually.
7) While she ___________ in systems, we sometimes call on her to speak at workshops as well.
8) The last _________ has made its bid, so let’s choose the one to hire.
8) The last _________ has made its bid, so let’s choose the one to accept.
9) The ________ person to lead staff out of the building in case of an emergency is the person near the rear doors.
10) It is risky to ___________ for huge profits without having a savings.