Welcome back to another ESL podcast and blog. Today’s special is on articles, and here are some of the rules down below.
- We don’t use an article when we talk about things in general.
- We use a to talk about a singular, countable person or thing for the first time, or to say that the person or thing is one of a number of things or people.
- We use the to talk about a specific person or thing or a person or thing mentioned before.
- We use the to talk about someone or something that is unique.
- We use an with vowels: A, E, I, O, U
Complete the sentences with THE if necessary.
- Today on ________________ programme, we’re talking about _______________ sports.
- I’m going to ____________ store to buy some food.
- In my house ________________dinner isn’t an important meal.
- Adults can’t always arrive on time because of __________ traffic.
- I don’t like ____________ food at my workplace.
- In _____________ movies, they often show ____________ movies in — rather than Thai movies.
Find and correct a mistake with articles in each sentence.
- I’m a vegetarian. I never eat the meat.
- My mom is the doctor in a big hospital.
- Could you please give me pencil?
- I had a dog but a dog disappeared last month.
- I go to The Chulalongkorn University.
- She’s got a brother and the sister.
- What is time?