Yes/no questions have rising intonation. This means the voice rises on the last stressed syllable and then keeps on rising until the end of the sentence. Sometimes, the last stressed syllable is the last word of the sentence. Wh- questions have a rising-falling intonation. The voice goes up on the last stressed syllable and then goes down.
Ex: Do you have a PROBLEM with JET lag?
Ex: WHY do SOME people experience JET lag?
Underline the stressed syllables. Draw arrows on a sheet of paper to show rising and falling intonation. Then listen to my podcast and check your answers.
- What do you want to find out?
- Is there a cure for jet lag?
- Why do lions hunt at night?
- Who discovered the pyramids?
- Do plants respond to the cycles of the moon?
- Are you tired?