So, I came across this exercise and wanted to put it into perspective and on display for you guys to identify WHY you need to learn English. Here are some categories down below, and I also want you to check mark the three most important goals.
- Participating in casual conversations with native speakers.
- Participating in meetings or discussions at work or school.
- Asking and answering questions in the classroom.
- Talking on the telephone.
- Communicating online, such as with FaceTime or Skype.
- Giving short reports or presentations at work or school.
- Teaching at a university in the U.S.
- Interacting in the community (shopping, banking, etc.)
- Using English for international business communications.
Identifying the outcome and what your master plan is absolutely essential.
For instance, if I learn Spanish, there needs to be a purpose behind it. If I’m learning Chinese just because I’m either being forced to learn it or I’m living there, I’m more prone to either not enjoying, nor remembering it. If I learn Spanish, it has to be to reach out to my Spanish speakers all over the world.
Identify your purpose!