This could be very difficult for a lot of ESL learners. One time, back at my old job, I had to teach some university students about this because of course, they were learning it in university. I’m here today to break it down for you.
- British TV is not as good as American TV.
- American series are as good as British TV series.
- Hotel receptionists in Hong Kong or less informative than in Thailand.
We use as……..as to say that two things, people or situations are similar.
Not as …..as and less……than are opposite of more …….. than.
Not as …..as and less……than have a similar meaning.
Task: Rewrite these sentences but keep the same meaning.
- Video games are more violent than movies.
2. Movies are less violent than video games.
- Sydney is interesting, but Melbourne is equally exciting.
A) Melbourne ________________________________________________.
2. ROV is more popular with today’s teenagers than Minecraft.
A) Minecraft _________________________________________________.
3. An American football game is exciting. American football on the radio is equally exciting.
A) American football on the radio _________________________________________.
4. Watching horror films in the cinema is scarier than watching them at home.
A) Watching horror films at home ________________________________________.