Since I’ve gone over reported questions and you now understand how can/could is used, it’s time to us them. We can express and ask about ability by using these, in addition to be able to.
subject + can + base form They can survive in cold weather.
subject + cannot + base form They cannot survive in cold weather.
subject + is/are + able to + base form The professor is able to see me today.
subject + is not / are not + able to + base form The professor is not able to see me today.
Wh – questions
Wh + can + subject + base form What can you remember from the talk?
Wh + is/are + subject + base form What are you able to recall about that day?
Can + subject + base form Can you remember the teachers’ names?
Is/Are + subject + able to + base form Are you able to remember the details?
Change these statements into the negative.
- I can speak Spanish.
- That person is able to walk without crutches.
- Sheryl can recall all the details from the movie.
- Sharks are able to live deep in the ocean.
- She can memorize the long story from yesterday perfectly.
- I am able to recall all the major news events.