People! Welcome back, and as promised, I told you guys that I would be coming up with much more material. This season is going to be pretty extended, so I want you to brace yourselves for a long, but very fun season!
Read the sentences. Do the verbs describe states and situations? Or do they describe actions?
- Be sure to tune into my podcast for the answers!
- I have a big garden.
- I love warm weather.
- I like sitting out there.
- My picture looks like me.
- The flowers smell good.
- I don’t believe that’s true.
- I know why I drew a flower.
- I think I’m the opposite.
Verbs of feeling and liking: hate, went, prefer, need ___________, ___________.
Verbs of thinking: _____________, ____________, ___________
Verbs of the senses: __________, ______________ hear, see, taste, sound, feel, seem
Verbs of possession: _____________, own, belong
Task: Decide if each verb describes a state or an action.
- I look/am looking for my shoes. Do you know/Are you knowing where they are?
- Isn’t she beautiful? She looks/is looking like a film star.
- My sister has got/is having a new job.
- My sister can’t speak at the moment. She has/is having a shower.
- Do you know/Are you knowing the answer now?
- I don’t understand/am not understanding a word you’re saying.
- Don’t worry about your competition. I believe/am believing in you to get the job done.
- I don’t like/am not liking this movie. I want/am wanting to leave now.