Here we go! Some phrasal verbs you can understand and use IMMEDIATELY! Traveling, especially for my Thais, is tough because of the language barriers. To take that further, I remember when I met a Japanese girl on a bus in Hawaii and she couldn’t speak ANY ENGLISH! Imagine traveling the world without knowing English! Well, do not fear! I’ve got a pocket book for you today.
Task – Look at these sentences. Match the phrasal verbs in bold with the letters down below.
- We got on the first flight but we got off due to a mechanical issue.
- When all the passengers were in their seats, the plane finally took off.
- She got into the car and drove down the street. When she arrived at her location, she got out of the car, only to realize that she forgot some important documents back home.
- This bus is really old. I think it’s going to break down any minute. *breaks down*
- Excuse me, sir. Could you please tell me what time the flight from Paris gets in? I’m meeting someone on it.
- They checked in their bags at Changi airport before going through the very easy passport control lanes.
- I took a long journey last year. I set off from Bangkok around 10pm and arrived in America about 30 hours later.
- Because I have such a flexible schedule, I love to get away every two months and travel to neighboring countries.
a. start a journey
b. enter/leave (a train, bus, boat, plane)
c. go somewhere different to have a rest or holiday.
e. show your ticket/give your bags to someone
f. stop working (any form of transportation)
g. enter/leave (a car)
h. start flying.
Answers in podcast down below.
Task 2 – Complete the text with these following words: away, down, in, into, off (x2), on, out of
Last week my sister and I decided to get ___________ for the weekend because of the long holidays. We decided to go to Kanchanaburi. We set __________ early, at around 8am. We got _____________ my friend’s car, which is a Ford Focus because it’s the most fuel-efficient vehicle in the market today. The only problem was that her car had a tendency of breaking _________. 10 minutes later, it did. We got __________ the car, grabbed our belongings, and went to a nearby minivan station. After 30 minutes, a van pulled up and we got ________ and sat down. The van arrived at Kanchanaburi on time — we got ___________ around 5pm. We took our luggage and got ________ the minivan. The only problem we had with everything that entire weekend was a broken Ford Focus!