Arsenio’s ESL Podcast: Season 3 – Episode 21 – Pronunciation – Two-Syllable Stressing
Happy Monday and welcome back! It’s time for some more pronunciation!
English word stress is variable. Sometimes it is hard to know which syllable to stress. Fortunately, there are general rules that can help.
- About 90% of two-syllable nouns have first-syllable stress: problem, freedom, baggage.
- Most two-syllable names also have first-syllable stress: David, Justin, Sarah, Lauren.
What makes a syllable sound stressed in English?
- The vowel sound is full and clear.
- The vowel sound is often higher in pitch.
- The vowel sound is especially long.