Welcome back, my students of the world! It’s time to go over two criteria that the examiner will assess you on in terms of speaking: Coherence & Fluency.
The notes that I recently showed you in the last live coaching will help you organize your ideas in a logical way.
One way to link your ideas is by using words and phrases like after, that, because of this, but, also, etc. We can also connect ideas using pronouns.
Tactic: It is important to use a variety of language. Don’t REPEAT! I can’t stress this enough.
- Think about the topic
- Organize your ideas (improve your coherence).
- Keep going during your talk (improve your fluency).
Describe a person who has been an important influence in your life.
You should say…..
- who this person is and how long you have known him or her for
- why you chose this person
- how this person has influenced your life
and explain how you feel about him or her.
Who and how long? Les Brown/70 years old/speaker and transformational coach/lives in America/never met him.
Why I chose him: inspired me to get out of my rut in Thailand, made goals, learned about personal development, transformed my life completely.
How he has influenced my life taught me how to keep going/ stop becoming a victim/ don’t give up/ passion in what I do.
My feelings grateful/admiration/proud
Some things to think about.
When you make notes, how do you write them? List? Scattered? Mindmap? Do you write single words? Long phrases? Whole sentences?
Idea connecting phrases
- I’ve decided to talk about….
- I’ve known him/her…
- I chose him/her because/……
- I think she/he has influenced my life by…..
- When I think of him/her, I feel…….