Welcome back to another Facebook live/coaching Saturday/Tuesday! Yes, I’m adding in both days and both titles so no one gets confused. With that being said, let’s get into the basics.
A. Conjunctions are used to join two parts of a sentence together and express their relationships. What you need to do is look at two halves of the sentence before and after the conjunction to help you choose the correct word.
Words: and, nor, but, or, because
- We decided not to buy the parts ___________ the cost was too high.
- We passed the first interview ___________ failed the second interview.
- Workers can apply now __________ wait until the position becomes available, ok?
- The restaurant is famous for its delicious food ___________ its friendly staff.
- Neither the price _________ the quality of service met our requirements.
Other conjunctions occur in natural pairs. Learn to recognize these and remember that so you can choose the correct answer quickly.
not only……..but also
Task: You have ten seconds for each item.
- We have the service to suit you,……….you want to travel in luxury or are on a tight budget.
a. not only
2. Entering the building requires not only a keycard, ………a fingerprint scan.
a. but also
3. We will ……. have to take the bus or get a taxi in order to reach the office in time.
Dear Mr. Buck,
I am writing in response to your letter, which was sent ___________ us on 15th of March, inquiring about the availability of replacement parts for the CX232 fan heater.
Unfortunately, this place has been experiencing difficulting at one of their plants, ____________ this has caused a delay in the delivery of replacement parts. This means we will not have the parts __________ the 16th of this month.
- A) to, B) with, C) of, D) from
- A) but, B) and, C) because, D) whether
- A) in, B) across, C) since, D) until