Arsenio’s ESL Podcast: Season 3 – Episode 37 – Grammar – Future Continuous & Future Perfect
Welcome back to another grammar episode! Let’s break this down in even further detail for everyone out there!
- By 2050, 3D printers will have become a part of everyday life.
- That’s what we‘ll be eating by 2050.
- We’ll be using robots at home in the near future.
- By 2050, restaurants near touristy areas will have disappeared.
a. We use the future continuous to talk about activities in progress at a particular time in the future.
b. We use the future perfect to talk about activities that will be finished before a particular time in the future.
c. We often use the preposition by with the future perfect. It means ‘some time before’.
Complete the predictions with these verbs in the future continuous.
Verbs: do, eat, have, not drive, not grow, speak, work
- We ____________ our holidays on the moon in 2050.
- We ____________ cars that use petrol in 205.
- Perhaps we _____________ genetically-modified food in the future.
- Most people ____________ at home via the internet, not in an office.
- Everybody in the world ___________ English in the year 2050.
- Robots ______________ jobs like cleaning or building.
- Farmers ______________ any fresh fruit or vegetables because there won’t be enough.
Complete these predictions about the year 2050 with the future perfect form of the verbs given. Make the sentences affirmative or negative on your own opinion.
- By 2050, we ______________(find) a cure for cancer.
- We _____________(stop) using computers.
- Elephants _____________ (become) extinct.
- The North Pole ______________(disappear).
- Astronauts ______________(land) on Mars.
- They ____________(invent) a device that you can talk to so that you can get information at any time.
- Temperatures _____________(get) much higher.
- Island _______________ (become) non-existent because of the rising water level.