Arsenio’s ESL Podcast: Season 4 – Episode 28 – Pronunciation – Thought Groups – Chunking
Welcome back to another pronunciation podcast, everyone! Today I’m featuring “chunking,” which is how you can separate your speaking structures into logical thought groups. Let’s go over some.
- Short Sentences: I have to study. Where did I put my book?
- Clauses: “If you speak in thought groups, / it’ll be easier to understand.
- Phrases: Steve Jobs / dropped out of college / after six months.
- Transitions: IN fact, thought groups make you sound more fluent.
- Common Single Word Expressions: Well, I heard from Jake.
- Common Multi Word Combinations: What I’m trying to say is, combating global warming will have to be a global effort.
- Bill Gates, who started a software company, is one of the richest people in the world.
- Arsenio, who’s a teacher in Thailand, is from America. In fact, he’s been living in Thailand for six years!
- Jennifer, who used to work in a law office before becoming a superstar, is Puerto Rican.