Categorize the words in the box into the chart down below.
by the same token, despite, usually, in spite of,
in the same way, on the contrary, similarly, whereas
|Word and phrases that compare||Words and phrases that contrast|
2. Choose the correct word or phrase to complete the sentences.
- I’m a very left-brained person. My brother, in the same way/on the contrary, is more right brained.
- Despite/ Whereas everything we know about the brain, there is still a lot to discover.
- I know I can’t always trust my gut feelings. In spite of this/ By the same token, they play a big part in my decision-making.
- Love and empathy are considered positive emotions. Equally/Despite this, gratitude and joy enhance a person’s life.
- Empathy motivates people to help others. On the contrary / By the same token, guilt strengthens commitments in others.
- Anger makes it harder for people to change what they are already doing, similarly / whereas fear makes them give up too easily.
- A fearful person is less likely to take risks. Similarly / On the contrary happy people are not risk takers.
- I sometimes jump into situations without considering all my options. In the same way / In spite of this, I sometimes find it hard to slow down and make intellectual decisions.