Welcome back, everyone! This is a quick, interactive exercise for you guys. What I want you to do is underline the words that contrast in each thought group.
- I’m looking for a used car, / not a new one.
- This isn’t the twenty-fifth floor; / it’s the twenty-sixth floor.
- He found his debit card / but not his credit card.
- I made the check out to Sarah Fiddenberg, / not Sara Fiddenberg.
- I thought our anniversary was on the tenth, / but it’s on the eleventh.
- Sue used to like electronic books, / but now she prefers print books.
- That’s my home number. / Let me give you my cell number.
- If the clothes aren’t on the dryer, / look in the dryer.
Here is one way to add movement to practice your focus words: Stand up and “walk the thought groups.” take one step forward as you say each focus word or the stressed syllable of each focus word.