Welcome to another ESL podcast, and today I’ll be talking about emphasizing on agreement. Why do speakers shift the focus to the auxiliary verb? It’s when someone expresses a strong agreement. So, when they do this the auxiliary verb is often the focus word.
He should open a restaurant. He’s such a good cook.
He is a good cook.
Work with someone. Student A can read the sentence and student B can respond by shifting focus to an auxiliary verb.
- Paris is the most beautiful city in the world.
- Everyone should have three-day weekends.
- Writing English is easier than speaking it.
- The Toyota is the most practical car on the road in Thailand.
- Antwone Fisher is the best movie ever made.