Many English words have more than one use, which can make listening comprehension quite difficult. For this reason, when you encounter a new word, or a familiar word used in a new way, it is useful to check for additional uses or meanings in a dictionary.
When you think of traditional Italian cuisine, what comes to mind? (mind – your attention or thoughts)
Would you mind turning off the TV? I’m trying to study (mind = feel annoyed)
Complete the sentences down below with the words in the box. (correct answers in podcast down below)
- Much later, Italians ___________ the custom.
- One of the first significant trade ___________ was the Silk Road.
- A lot of ____________ were traded along the Silk Road.
- For thousands of years, silk and porcelain were China’s most important ____________.
- These trade routes developed after Christopher Columbus’s ________ landed in the Americas in 1492.
- Much of the ___________ you see in the supermarket today was originally from the Americas.
- Let me give you some statistics to ____________ this point.
- That is great news for the environment, for global warming, and for a number of other __________ we face in the future.
Now complete the sentences with the correct form of the same words from exercise 1. (correct answers in podcast down below)
- Even today, almost 90% of the world’s cargo is still ____________ by sea.
- Instead of silk, China ___________ and ___________ clothing, electronics, and more.
- These places can be crowded, dirty, and sometimes dangerous, but they also do a lot of____________ for people.
- The slum is where your ___________ is. People from your village are already there.
- The children’s book was ____________ with some very beautiful drawings.
- Many people who cannot have their own children will ______________ a baby.
- There’s an excellent article on urbanization in the new ___________ of Time.