The bottomline is everyone makes mistakes, including myself. I’ve stumble dover my words and used incorrect grammar a number of times, and that will continue…why? I’m hum. So, if you realize you have made an error or someone else points out a problem with something you’ve said, you can use an expressions such as I mean…, sorry, uh, oh, or um. Then correct the error.
This newspaper is an interesting article — uh, it has a very interesting article.
- Do you mind giving me a hand?
- Yes, I…I ____________,no, I don’t mind at all. What would you like me to do?
2. Could you help me move this armchair, __________________, this couch?
- Oh right! What a …….._____________, I can see why you need help!
Practice the conversation with a partner. The words in bold are wrong. Say the mistakes and repair them, using an expression from above.
- Have you see this story in the paper?
- No. What it about?
- It’s about a survey. They asked kids what they would like to be when they grow up. And the top answer were “famous”
- Wo, that’s depressed.
- I know. When I was a kid I want to be a teacher or a doctor.
- Well, I guess TV have really changed people’s needs and values.