In a vastly changing world, careers of the past are just that — the past. With the emerging world of technology, people are quickly trying to adapt to learning a skill set instead of a simple “job,” or else….they’ll be left on a burner. Here are some expressions about life and career developments.
When Andy left school, he decided to follow in his older sister’s footsteps and enroll on a course to become a chef. The course he chose involved serving an apprenticeship in a well-known restaurant. Working in the restaurant gave him valuable insight into how a professional kitchen works. It took a while for him to settle in and find his feet. He also had to overcome some important setbacks in his personal life during the course, but he didn’t put his career on hold for them. Andy has lots of aspirations and drive. He wants to get on in life and isn’t afraid to try his hand at anything. He has already accomplished so much in a short time. Since he started the course, he’s never looked back and now he’s at the top of his game. One day he could even end up running his own restaurant.Gateway B2+
- Succeeded in doing something
- Learn about a job by actually doing it
- Do an activity for the first time, to see if you like it
- Put your name on an official list of students
- Get a chance to understand something or learn more about it
- Become familiar with something new
- Succeed in dealing with problems
- Stop something from happening now, but it may happen later.