Welcome back to another IELTS Live Coaching! This week I’m going to dive deep into technology and science, two areas that you need to be especially aware about. Because Education, Science and Technology are hot topics in the world of events, you need to pay special attention to these subjects and be prepared when tough questions are thrown at you. On this blog, here are the notes of what will be discussed tomorrow.
Think of the following….
- Scientific invention
- Scientific breakthrough
- Cutting-edge technology
- Recent discovery
- Groundbreaking discovery
- Medical breakthrough
- Scientific research
- Digital revolution
Now, choose one of the noun phrases above and complete the following Part 2 task card. I would like you to submit your part II speaking task to me…follow the instructions on the video.
Describe (a/an) _____________ of the last twenty years which you feel has a major influence on your life.
You should say
- What the __________ is
- When it started/happened
- What effect it had
And explain how this _____________ has influenced your life.
- Which science subject at school do/did you like the most? Why?
- Do you think life is safer, or more dangerous, with modern technology?
- Does everybody need to know how to use a computer these days?
- How has your study of science helped you?
- Do you think new developments in science often cause more problems than they solve?
- Which area of scientific research do you think is most important and deserves further research and development?
- What science subjects do students study at school in your country?
- Is there anything about science that you dislike?
- Do you think there are some areas that should be off-limits to scientific research?
- What effect does new technology have on employment?
Read the candidates answers in both a and b. Which one provides the best answer? Underline any words or phrases that Candidate B uses to make generalizations.
Well, I think life is more dangerous as I know many people who have had problems with crime on the internet. I have a friend who lost some money when she was banking online. Also lots of my friends’ parents are worried about them using the internet because of online bullying and things like that.
In general, I would say advances in science and technology have made us more secure in many ways. Increased scientific knowledge tends to make us more away of dangers, and developments in some areas have meant that we are more able to deal with difficulties. Health and medicine would be a good example. Of course, technology is liable to bring dangers too. Take the internet, for instance – that has brought new risks and more criminal activity. More on my Patreon! Stay tuned for announcements in