Bend thoughts and lead to positive states of mind.
What triggers will remind you to steer you towards positive social interactions.
- Notification trigger — alarm “bring the joy”
- Door frame trigger — every time you walk through a door frame, find the good, enter the room a happy person and be ready to serve.
- Waiting trigger — waiting in line — what level of presence do I have right now on a scale 1-10? Check in on your emotional state
- 5 or below? YOU’RE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE! Raise your energy!
- Touch trigger — Hugging and touching is vital to well-being and happiness.
- Positive trigger — WHAT A GIFT! Become consciously aware of the positivity that comes into your life.
- Stress trigger — stop manufacturing stress, whenever things feel like they’re getting out of hand, 10 deep breaths, what’s the positive thing you can focus on right now and the next action you can take at that moment — evening journaling — three things that make you felt great during the day, close your eyes, and relive them in reflection.
Here are some great techniques I use as mental triggers. Bring the Joy is what I use in the morning, thus why I always workout in the morning because that’s a significant portion of joy and growth for me.
Walking into a room and finding the good is another. How can I serve these people? An example of this would be going to work…there are always 1-2 people sitting at the front desk and I come in, all smiles, saying the same thing that makes them laugh every morning — for two straight years.
Waiting trigger is critical because I get overwhelmed sitting in traffic, being on a stuck train (happens all too often here in Thailand), and even waiting in line and watching the reception work extra slow. I check in with my level of presence. If it’s below 5, I always say “YOU’RE LUCKY TO BE ALIVE!
Touch brings happiness, joy, and well-being to people’s lives. Living in Asia is difficult because they have a “no-touch policy”….however, in South America and Central America, it’s all hugs and air-kisses, and because the touch trigger is so important for me, these countries will be excellent suitors….or obviously if you can’t live in these countries, having people around that have the “hugs” policy is crucial, rather than those who always want to steer clear of that because of cultural norms.
Positive: WHAT A GIFT! If any message comes in, inquiry, comment, EVEN A SMILE downstairs for me…I always smile and say “WHAT A GIFT!” I also replay the event in my head at the end of the day and feel that same wonderful energy I did at the time.
Stress! Oh, happens all too often, but to stop manufacturing stress, breathing exercises are important and acting on the stress. I have a fundamental question: “what’s making me feel stressed right now?” I ask a further 3 rounded questions and the stress then dissipates. I stop stress within a minute because I have a tendency of twisting it around to understand the nature of it.