Welcome back! Today we’re going to listen to a debate about proactive and yielding methods of dealing with conflict. There are also some techniques in regards to listening to confirm predictions and anticipating information to come. This is great for IELTS students. So, let’s go over some methods.
- What methods do people use to deal with conflict? Make a list.
- Which methods confront conflict and which attempt to prevent it?
Read the list of methods for managing conflict. Predict which may be suggested by a proactive style, and which by a yielding style. You will have to listen to the podcast down below to do the exercise.
__ Offer positive reasons for the other side to change their position.
__ Make the effort to understand your opponents’ viewpoint.
__ Cooperate with your opponents by doing some, but not all, of what they want.
__ Do what the other side wants you to do in order to maintain a good relationship.
__ Avoid situations in which the stronger side is able to dominate.
__ Do nothing and wait for the situation to resolve itself.
Skillful listeners use all the available information to predict information the speaker will give. Anticipating in this way supports the listeners: as the speaker continues, the listeners confirm their predictions and/or identify new themes in the communication.
- Read through the information available about the lecture or discussion, e.g., handouts, notes, etc.
- Review titles and visuals and consider their connection to the topic.
- Anticipate missing information, e.g.:
- What kind of information is missing?
- What has the speaker not discussed yet?
- What stage of the argument is missing?
|Proactive Conflict Managements||Yielding Conflict Management|
Cooperative methods are
Results are 2_________
Provides a positive 3_________
for those involved
Difficult due to high levels of
May require training and 5___________
It is irresponsible to ……
Positive rewards….. 12___________
Conflict situations often
__________6 if we just wait
Loss of face in a conflict situation can damage 7________
The proactive style …….
In reality, in most relationships one side 9__________
Stronger sides …….. 10 __________