This is definitely going to be one of the top podcasts of the year. While I was doing my personal development podcast, I came across an AMAZING technique that will help you with reacting to situations. In this podcast, I will inject some personal development into your lives that will help you understand your feelings, react to situations, and find a systematic way of breaking down a situation. This is very good not only for business but also for all relationships in general.
Who’s ready for a full, crazy reading lesson? In the first of its kind, I have the FULL RUNDOWN for you guys today. We’re going to go through all these questions together and pray we can make it through. I would’ve like to make this live, but premiere’s are better because I can speak to you while the video is going. Nonetheless, the lesson is on household pests, and after all the reading techniques, let’s see if you got what it takes to succeed!
 Including almost 10 million species and representing over 90% of life on planet Earth, insects are ubiquitous. And while humans live peacefully side by side with most insect species, some pose a threat to human activity and habitats. You need only to consider the damage caused by insects to agricultural crops, and the ramifications for food security and agricultural economies, to understand their potential to wreak havoc. But it is not only the food we grow that can be threatened by insects; our homes themselves may be impacted. And while many pests – such as cockroaches and beetles – are regarded as disgusting and unseemly on our floors and walls, others may be outright damaging and threaten the value of a homeowner’s property. Two such pests are ants and termites.
 To a homeowner, termites can pose a significant threat. As detritivores, termites consume dead plant matter, which includes the wood we use in construction. Thus a colony of termites may undermine the strength of timber foundations, chew through walls, and hollow out stairs in a matter of months. This not only damages the home itself, but also creates safety hazards for the human occupants. Another insect capable of chewing through wood is the humble ant. Ants may put their well-deserved reputation for industriousness to work on more than just your house; they are also attracted to foods in the home and, left unchecked, can quickly become a terrible nuisance in the kitchen or garbage areas.
 Of course, pests such as termites and ants can be prevented, controlled, and eradicated, primarily through the use of chemical compounds that are toxic to the pests. These chemical compounds combat the insects at a biological level. Most compounds are composed of a pesticide, a dilutant, a particulate, a thickening agent, and a surfactant system. The pesticide is the toxic chemical that kills the pest, while the dilutant ensures that the compound does not endanger its human users (still, direct exposure is not recommended). The particulate agent suspends the pesticide within the dilutant, and the thickening agent serves to make the compound easier to apply to infested areas. Finally, the surfactant lowers the surface tension of the compound, further facilitating application.
 When it comes to pesticides, application is key. More specifically, the compound must be applied in the correct location, either exterior to the home or on the interior. Exterior application of a pesticide will help to prevent future pests from entering the structure. This commonly involves applying a compound to outside walls, porches, and window areas. Interior application can be more challenging, since insects seek out nesting areas which are relatively inaccessible to humans. This includes hollow spaces between walls, soft spots beneath floors, and hard-to-reach corners in cabinets and other furniture. Interior application is meant to eliminate those pests which have already infested a home. Thus effective pest control involves both prevention and eradication. While many homeowners choose to take the problem into their own hands and apply pesticides themselves, others choose to support the burgeoning pest control industry, hiring professionals who have the knowledge and equipment to ensure that compounds are applied safely.
 Exactly how big of a threat to termites and ants pose to homeowners? Global statistics are difficult to compile, but it is estimated that in the southwestern U.S. alone termites cause approximately 1.5 billion dollars in damage each year. The scale of the problem is such that the pesticide and pest control industries are growing, and entire communities have undertaken measures to control and eradicate these insects.
 While biochemical solutions remain highly effective methods of pest control, there is growing opposition to the use of chemicals in and around human habitation. The move toward “organic” food – that grown without the use of pesticides or herbicides – has helped to raise awareness of the potential health risks of such chemicals. Thus natural pest control, relying on non-toxic methods and compounds, is becoming more popular. Natural methods may utilize plants or even other insects to ward off or eliminate pests. Particular plants are known to repel particular insects; for example, crushed mint leaves are touted as an effective ant deterrent.bestmytest.com
- The word “others” in paragraph 1 refers to…
- cockroaches and beetles
- floors and walls
2. Which of the following can be inferred from paragraph 1?
- a majority of the world’s insects cause problems to humans.
- insects’ damage to homes is a greater problem than their damage to agriculture
- insects are the most common type of animals on the planet
- cockroaches and beetles are commonly misunderstood by humans
3. The word ‘unchecked’ in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to:
4. Which of the following components helps to make applying the pesticides easier?
5. According to paragraph 4, which of the following is true of the interior application of pesticides?
- it is more dangerous than exterior application
- it helps to prevent an infestation from happening
- it is more difficult than exterior application
- it is not very effective
6. In paragraph 4, the author mentions “hard to reach corners in cabinets and other furniture as an example of
- common points of entry for insect infestations
- areas which should be avoided when applying pesticide
- key pathways for insects within a home
- possible nesting areas for pests
7.Which of the following best expresses the essential information highlighted sentence? Incorrect answer choices change the meaning in important ways or leave out essential information.
While many homeowners choose to take the problem into their own hands and apply pesticides themselves, others choose to support the burgeoning pest control industry, hiring professionals who have the knowledge and equipment to ensure that compounds are applied safely.
- Homeowners may work alongside pest control professionals to support the safe and effect application of pesticide.
- Some homeowners choose to support the pest control industry, which hires knowledgeable and safe professionals who can assist the homeowner in applying pesticides
- Some homeowners deal with pests on their own, but others seek professional help for a higher level of safety
- Even though the pest control industry is growing some people do not wish to hire professionals and instead attempt to control pests themselves.
8. In paragraph 5, why does the author mention “1.5 billion dollars in damage?”
- to lend support to community-wide pest control solutions
- to prove that estimating the impact of pests is difficult
- to introduce the idea of natural pest control methods
- to illustrate the extent of the problem caused by termites and ants
9 Examine the four █ in the selection below and indicate at which block the following sentence could be inserted into the passage:
Another natural approach involves altering the timing or pattern of lighting, since this appears to disrupt the insects’ breeding habits.
While biochemical solutions remain highly effective methods of pest control, there is growing opposition to the use of chemicals in and around human habitation. █ [A] The move toward “organic” food – that grown without the use of pesticides or herbicides – has helped to raise awareness of the potential health risks of such chemicals. █ [B] Thus natural pest control, relying on non-toxic methods and compounds, is becoming more popular. Natural methods may utilize plants or even other insects to ward off or eliminate pests █ [C] Particular plants are known to repel particular insects; for example, crushed mint leaves are touted as an effective ant deterrent. █ [D] .
10 Directions: An introductory sentence for a brief summary of the passage is provided below. Complete the summary by selecting the THREE answer choices that express the most important ideas in the passage. Some sentences do not belong in the summary because they express ideas that are not presented in the passage or are minor ideas in the passage. This question is worth 2 points.
Termites and ants are pests that can damage homes by chewing through wood.
a. the pest control industry is growing rapidly, and pest control professionals can help ensure safe application of pesticides.
b. pesticides may be applied outside the home for prevention and within the home to kill existing insects
c. pests do a lot of damage to homes every year, and some people are turning to more natural methods of pest control
d. pesticides alone have been found to be less effective than pesticides used in combination with natural methods of pest control
e. compounds used to eliminate pests are typically comprised of several key ingredients
f. besides damaging homes, insects can cause significant damage to agricultural crops and food supplies
This is definitely going to be one of the top podcasts of the year. While I was doing my personal development podcast, I came across an AMAZING technique that will help you with reacting to situations. In this podcast, I will inject some personal development into your lives that will help you understand your feelings, react to situations, and find a systematic way of breaking down a situation. This is very good not only for business but also for all relationships in general. This is on Early Access Podcast and Business English!
Welcome to the second-to-last audio/video of my pronunciation course, phase III! Today I’m bringing you reducing structure words. After coaching an Egyptian pharmacist and hearing out she over-stressed structured words, this is very important for everyone out there. Here’s a sneak peek. Remember, it’s available on all Patreon badges!
Unstressed words are often reduced, meaning some sounds are shortened or omitted.
Dictionary Pronunciation Reduced Pronunciation
Is John’/z/ an old friend.
Can /kan/ you see?
Him Letem go.
Of I need a book /uh/ stamps.
Structure words are often reduced through contractions, the omission of consonant sounds, and the reduction of vowel sounds to schwa.
Tip: Practicing Reduced Words
Welcome to a short podcast/video! Today I’m going to break down some grammar/vocabulary questions that you would see on a test — let alone this practice test! Again, if you’re interested in coaching or membership services, please reach out to me!
- Ms. Walters _______ to another branch, so your new financial advisor will be Mr. Merenda.
- has transferred
2. The restaurant on Main Street offers a wide selection of gourmet desserts ____ several regions of the world.
3. ________ interested in viewing an apartment should contact the property manager to arrange an appointment.
4. A growing _____ in the cosmetics industry is the use of natural and organic ingredients.
5. Because of its _____ melodies and upbeat rhythms, Toby Nathan’s music has broad appeal.
6. The park service asks visitors to behave _______ and show respect for wildlife.
7. It is not the company’s policy to grant sick leave ______ overtime pay to part-time employees.
8. The ______ of the Board of Directors is scheduled for Monday.
9. Last year, the number of new university-level textbooks _____ by American publishers dropped for the second year in a row.
10. Traffic congestion is ______ than usual because of road construction, so it will take us at least an hour to get to the meeting.
Answers on next page
We’re back with the third-to-last video in the pronunciation course! Again, if you guys are ready and requesting the video course, please reach out to me and I’ll make it LIVE on Podia. Until then, this audio is available on all Patreon badges, as stated dozens of times before.
And in today’s episode, I will teach you how to unstress structured words. Remember, structured words make the grammar of the sentence correct, but in spoken English, we often unstress them.
It’s been a few months, but I’m officially back with another IELTS Listening practice. In today’s video/podcast, I will be breaking down the typical section 1 form and allowing you guys to answer the questions. If you want the answers, make sure you view my blog!
|Date||Type of Event||Details|
|17th||a concert||performers from canada|
|18th||a ballet||company called 1) ____________|
|a play||type of play: a comedy called Jemima has had a good 2)|
|a 3) _________ show||show is called 4____________|
– Making 5 __________ food
– (children only) Making 6 _________
– (adults only) Making toys from 7 _________ using various tools
– swimming in the pool 8_____________
– Walking in the woods, led by an expert on 9 _______________
See the festival organiser’s 10 ___________ for more information
Answers on next page!
Sometimes in the world of business, and even in our personal lives, we act in a reactive way instead of a solutions-based way. When COVID had shut down my job last year, the anxiety level was out of the roof because I didn’t know how I would generate income. So, when the second shutdown happened this year, I was more than prepared and excited.
Putting your heads together is an idiom that means “helping one another find a solution.” In the entrepreneurial world, sometimes you need to sit down in a mastermind group to ponder what’s happening and plan out actionable steps. In today’s podcast, you have stories and a situation between two women who came across a massive problem at work.
Welcome back to another interview session! We have the usuals today: Lisa, Robert, Phil, and Wiktor who talk about pitching, knowing your product inside and out, knowing your customer’s needs, and how detrimental it could be in terms of promising your customers an outcome,
To be honest, here in Thailand, lots of language centers love to super-impose on advertisements “Guaranteed 7.5 IELTS!” This is a marketing scheme, but if that had been in America, they could be sued for false advertisement.
In saying that, I never promise anyone anything. What do I do instead? Tune into the podcast!
Are you at a lower-level and you want to practice basic English? If you just started following and haven’t heard seasons 1-3 yet, then it could be a bit daunting to understand the rate at which I speak. So, to improve your reading, vocabulary, etc….here’s a template on my Business English Podcast badge! I’m covering elementary reading blogs in the world of business, so if you’re interested in exclusive content, $30 a month with a bunch of perks gets you in!