Sometimes we go throughout our day being reactionary. Meaning we’re just reacting to situations. This is kind of how I am on days that I don’t have work. I kind of react to all situations rather than coming up with a schedule that will achieve the outcome that I’ve set out on. So, let’s see how we can break this down together. Podcast will debut this upcoming weekend!
Development plan: start with the next 5 books. Why? Because you began with an outcome not just chasing down best-sellers. Example, “I’m trying to develop in public speaking.” So your stack of 5 books would begin with Dale Carnegie’s Art of Public Speaking.
- “I’m trying to grow my business.” Your next five books would be on scaling a business.
- “I’m trying to improve my marriage.” Next five books on marriage.
- “I’m trying to improve the relationship with my kids or kids in general.” Next five books should be on Stephen Covey.
Obviously books as a metaphor but again, it could be courses, videos, podcasts, conferences, events, trainings. Who are you mentors. What are the resources and when are you going to consume them.
Let’s break it down even further.
- Outcome: what are you trying to grow into, improve, make happen.
- What must you learn to grow into that outcome. What must you learn about yourself. What skills must you develop. What can you learn from other people.
- How will you learn it? Engaging virtually? Podcasts? Same rules apply.
- IT HAS TO SHOW UP IN YOUR CALENDAR! You don’t have a development plan because you have a full stack of books IN A DAMN GARAGE! (hint: get it?)
- When will you read……when will you try…….when will you plan….
It’s all based on scheduling.